Gloria has been a qualified solicitor since 1996. She is of Sri Lankan heritage and is bilingual in English and Mandarin languages. She is an advocate & solicitor, barrister, mediator and collaborative practice lawyer. In the course of her 20 year legal career, she has gained considerable experience and knowledge in diverse areas of the law pertaining to Family Law, Criminal Law, Civil, Corporate & Commercial Law and Estate Law. She has acquired skill sets in Mediation, Collaborative Practice, Negotiations and Litigation.
- Notary Public (Singapore)
- Advocate and Solicitor (Singapore) 1996
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn – UK) 1995
- LL.B (Hons) (University of Wolverhampton – UK) 1993
- Associate Mediator – Singapore Mediation Centre
- Associate Mediator – Primary Dispute Resolution Centre, State Courts of Singapore
- Family Mediator (Family Justice Courts and SMC Family Panel)
- Child Representative Lawyer (Appointed by the Family Justice Courts)
- Parenting Coordination Lawyer (Family Justice Courts)
- Primary Justice Lawyer (State Courts of Singapore)
- Collaborative Family Practice Lawyer
- Certificate-in-Mediating Disputes (Harvard Law School)
- Certificate-in-Mediation Skills ADR (Regent’s University of London)
- Certificate-in-Negotiation at Säid Business School (University of Oxford)
Training and Pupillage Experience in UK:
- Law degree and foundation in UK
- Barrister-at-Law from one of the 4 inns’ of Courts in UK
- Pupillage under the guidance of Lawrence Jones, presently of 33 Bedford Row Barristers’ Chambers, London, UK
- Her sponsor at Lincoln’s Inn was Sir Nicholas Bratza, the former President of the European Courts of Human Rights (ECHR).
- Understudy with the late Sir Eric Crowther OBE, a Crown Court Judge.
Being a certified Associate Mediator at the State Courts of Singapore and the Singapore Mediation Centre, Gloria is able to assist the clients to achieve settlement even in acrimonious matters.
In 2014, Ms James attained certification in Mediating Disputes from the Harvard Mediation Program, under the guidance of Professor Robert H. Mnookin, a leading scholar in the field of conflict resolution. She also trained with Regent’s University of London under the guidance of Paul Randolph and his team in the area of mediation coupled with psychotherapy and psychology. With this training, she is capable of managing high conflict personalities in an intensive, emotional and volatile background. She is also able to provide the emotional understanding to clients.
Child Representative Lawyer
In August 2015, Gloria was appointed as a Child Representative Lawyer by the Family Justice Courts and is on the Panel of Child Representatives, representing children’s welfare and best interests in heavily contested family court proceedings.
Collaborative Family Practitioner
Gloria is one of the first batch of family lawyers in Singapore, who received specialist training and is qualified to practice Collaborative Family Law. She has presided over many collaborative divorce matters to successful resolution. She is also a Member of the International Academy of Collaborative Practitioners.
In June 2015, Gloria completed the Oxford Programme on Negotiation at Säid Business School, University of Oxford. She was trained by Tim Cullen (the programme director) and Sherman Roberts (Academic Director). With this training in Negotiations, Gloria brings a new skill set to enable her to act for corporate clients in Negotiations as their agent / representative.
Over the period of 20 years, Gloria has represented clients in the Civil, Criminal and Family Courts, from suits to appeal. She constantly undergoes training workshops and attends seminars in order to be herself updated with the ever-changing legal landscape.
Gloria`s popular divorce blog, which explains the divorce process in Singapore in it`s entirety, has been an valuable source of information for couples or individuals wanting to find out more information about how the divorce process.
Her areas of expertise are:
- High Net Worth Local and Expat contested divorces in Singapore
- Cross-border International Divorces involving various jurisdictions – UK, Australia, USA, Europe, Indonesia, China, S.E. Asian Countries
- Child Custody battles
- Child Abduction matters
- Jurisdiction Applications
- Stay Proceedings
- Ante-Suit Injunctions
- Relocation Issues
- Injunction of Assets
- Assets Protection & Strategy
- Pre-Nuptial Agreements
- Martial Agreements
- Personal Protection Applications & Trials
- Interim Maintenance Applications & Trials
- Contested Ancillary Issues at the Family Court, High Court, Court of Appeal
- Contested Divorce Hearings
- Contested Nullity Hearings
- Adoption matters
- Mental Capacity matters
- Lasting Power of Attorney matters
- Presumption of Death matters
Civil, Commercial, Corporate Law
- Civil matters involving actions commenced in the State Court and High Court
- E-Commerce matters
- Employment Contracts & Disputes
- Company MOM Compliance Matters
- Tort Actions
- Negligence Actions
- Contested Probate and Estate matters
- Criminal Representations Trials Appeals – Magistrates’ Courts, District Courts, High Court, Court of Appeal
- Blue Collar and White Collar Crimes
- Capital Offences
- Private Summons Prosecutions / Magistrate’s Complaints
- Prevention of Harassment Act (POHA)
Gloria was in a team of five lawyers that had conduct of the Coroner’s Inquiry into the death of an American scientist (Shane Todd), a highly publicised international matter, in 2013. Gloria was also a part of a team that was in the Coroner’s Inquiry to determine the cause of death of an American citizen who fell from the Swisshotel.
Gloria is often quoted in the local newspapers; The Straits Times, The New Paper, Today, My Paper; and local magazines, Her World and Singapore’s Women’s Weekly. She has also appeared in televisions news ie Channel News Asia, Channel 5, and BBC. She also appeared in live tv talk shows.
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Vice-Chairman of the Criminal Law Practice Committee of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Small Firms Practice Committee of the Law Society of Singapore
- Associate Mediator of the PDRC, State Courts of Singapore
- Associate Mediator of the Singapore Mediation Centre
- Collaborative Family Practice Lawyer
- Member of the International Academy of Collaborative Practitioners